Re: Carb questions

It's not so much as if the carb will fit but whether you can find the
proper intake manifolds that the carbs will sit on.

Since the carbs in question are 1-bbl that means there is only one barrel,
or throat, to feed both cylinders on the side it's mounted.  FI heads have
a port, or opening, for each intake runner.  Sooooo you would need an
intake manifold that lets a 1-bbl carb sit on it yet splits in two (like an
upside-down 'Y') to allow feeding of both intake ports.  And, you can't use
Type I intakes as they are too long, they gotta be for the Type III.  We
have the disadvantage of having to use such itty-bitty intakes as there
isn't enough distance for the fuel mixture to meet its full potential.
This is why a built engine in a Type III will give good performance, but
the same engine transferred to a Type I and given longer intakes will
absolutely scream.  Well, less weight to move around helps, too, but
there's the idea.

Honestly, a dual (one carb for each side of the engine) 2-bbl is the best
carb setup as each cylinder gets fed from its own carb barrel.  I've read
this in a couple of books, including Dellorto's own carb maintenance book
(they sell side drafts, 1-bbl and 2-bbl carbs).  It's also why FI has an
intake runner for each cylinder.  It has to do with wave harmonics and
pulses created by the air rushing into the cylinder, then suddenly being
stopped by the intake valve, so it 'bounces' back up the throat.  It gets
worse (the physics, that is :) but suffice to say one cylinder per throat
is best.
     Toby Erkson, air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 1.8L