Re: I can't afford to fix FI

On  1 Dec 97, SoapDuck@aol.com wrote:

> I really wish I could fix my FI but I do not have the money to fix it.  My
> mechanic has tried to figure out the problem quite a few times.  Besides, all
> of these sensors and regulators cost at least 100 bucks each.  There is no
> way that I would be able to find the money to fix whichever one it is and
> still be able to pay for other expenses that I have.  I am still trying to
> pay for Homer in the first place.
>
> Maybe, you all can help me.First of all,  The car is running rich. Also, I
> took out the spark plugs and they were soaked in gas.  why is it doing this?
>  Is there a way to narrow down what could be wrong with it?

There are many possibilities, most of them do not require a lot of
money to fix, rather they just require a bit of background to know
what to adjust or replace.

If it is running rich I would check the regulating voltage.  If it is
below 13.5 V I would replace the voltage regulator.  This is a common
problem, but in recommending it I am assuming that most of the other
obvious things about your FI system are running properly.  To be
honest, this is probably not a safe assumption.

Where are you located.  You need to find someone who is FAMILIAR with
D-Jetronix.  Few mechanics are.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org