Re: Fuel pump..

On  1 Dec 97, SqrBack69@aol.com wrote:

> It's a Fuel Injected 1500cc something or other..  it's all original, but
> other than that I don't know any specifics..  As to what installation you
> were talking about, well, I just know what you were talking about?  If you
> mean the battery or the signal switch, I did it, but the fuel pump is stock,
> if that's wha the sound is.  And I haven't been able to find a Bentley manual
> for t-3, so no, I haven't looked at  that section.

So here's the picture: you have a stock 69 Squareback (would be a
1600) about which you know nothing except that you think that it's
stock and you have observed that the stock fuel pump runs with the
key off.  You need to get a copy of the following:

Volkswagen Official Service Manual
Type 3 Fastback and Squareback 1968-1973
published by Robert Bentley, Cambridge, Mass, 1974
ISBN 0-8376-0057-X / LPV 997 383 / VSQU
(excellent book, complete and well written)

Only after studying this will you have the tools at hand to attack
the problem, and you will save yourself the purchase price many
times over.  If you are unable or unwilling to do this you will need
to find someone in your area who can.

Where are you located?

In any case it sounds like the fuel pump has been miswired by someone
who "fixed" it without understanding it.  There is no way it
should run with the key off.  You now get to reap the benefits of
that enlightened repair.  I believe it was Everett on this list that
mentioned something about being automatically suspicious of anything
the PO mentioned he had "fixed."

Words to live by.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney