Re: 1776 gas mileage

Stick with the highest pump octane you can use.  Don't change to a single 2bbl
carb because your mileage and performance will drop.  The dual, 2bbl setup you
have is perfect.  You probably just need to have it jetted and synched.  Make
sure the valves, points and timing are all in spec as well.  I hope you're using
a higher powered ignition system than stock as this will help increase the
ponies.

Adding a turbo and/or NO will decrease mileage (i.e. it will get worse) as these
systems effectively increase the volumetric efficiency of the motor; they pack
more of the fuel/air mixture into the cylinders.  I haven't driven my baby for
some time but her mileage was less than 20mpg on the freeway (2003cc, 8:1
compression, high performance ignition system).

Find out what your compression is.  At 120hp I'm guessing you're at 8:1 or
higher (for a 1.8L there's no way it's at stock compression).  Turbos require
lower compression so if you use it then you will need to lower your compression
(side note: European Car featured an article on higher compression turbos, but
it was for modern cars).  CB Performance has turbos for air-cooled VW
applications -- don't screw around with equipment from other auto makers unless
you KNOW what you're doing, it ain't as easy as bolting it on!  It will be a
very tight fit under the deck lid and expect increased engine temps.  Have as
much of the tubing ceramic coated as you can if using steel (to reduce heat
build up and increase longevity).  Note:  You can use turbo wrap or header tape
around the tubing but don't use it on mild steel as the increased heat will
cause the metal, particularly on bends, to deteriorate more rapidly (Engine
magazine, 1994).

A nitrous oxide (NO) system will take special tuning as well.  I'm not an expert
or user of NO so those who have it can shed more light, but here's what I
know...  NO can't be used at low rpm unless you want to fragment your engine
(I'm not joking!).  Results will vary, but figure a 10 pound bottle of NO
lasting less than 30 seconds of use.  It will require welding nozzles in your
intakes for the NO foggers, extra fuel administration and all of the plumbing
associated with it.  NO will give you big hp increases but very limited
duration.  Turbo would be your best streetability hp increase.

Only a well built (balanced, blueprinted, quality parts and expert building)
motor can take the added power.  Do you know anything about the engine, in
detail?  Find out!

The extra oil sump *is* needed for your engine.  Personal opinion plugs: If the
engine is new switch over to (pure) synthetic oil; install a full flow oil
filtration system if it doesn't have one.
     Toby Erkson, air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 1.8L