Greg Merritt <gregm@umich.edu>: Re: grills

From: Greg Merritt <gregm@umich.edu>
To: type-3@umich.edu
Subject: Re: grills
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 00:03:25 -0400 (EDT)

At 10:05 PM -0500 8/31/97, Martin Peitz wrote:
>I too saw the BIG chrome vents in the *fenders* of the Squareback in
>"Lemon Cars" (slanderous book).
>They are not original.
>I have no idea how they work.

	They are for the air conditioner!!!

-Greg
'69 & '71 Squarebacks
'63 Beetle

hey guys,

  I've got a 69 fastback with the same front chrome grills.
When I bought the car around 10 years ago I inquired about
what these were for.  I was told that they were an option
offered at the time of purchase from VW.
                                A rubber tubing would connect to the
front of these grills
and run back into the air flow vents that went into the cars
interior.  Kind of an extra way of getting more air inside
since air conditioning was not available.

  This may be the right info or not, but it was 10 years ago,
and at the time I bought the car, I had never seen a Type III
before.

   Hope this helps.

  james(dancinginthewoods@juno.com)