Always with the questions

On 30 Aug 97, Everett wrote:

> 1. Can I put a 12-volt radio in my 6-volt Squareback?  If not, could
> someone take the time to briefly explain why, in electronic terms?

No, because the 12 Volt radio's circuitry is set up to give the
correct biases to the transistors when you put in 12 (actually 14)
volts.  Tube sets won't work because the tube filaments won't even be
visibly warm at 1/2 voltage.

The Early Blaupunkt sets were set up to be convertable from 12 to 6
V, positive or negative ground.  They did this by building them as 6V
sets and setting them up so two halves could be connected in series
for 12 V or parallel for 6V operation.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org