Re: Re[2]: Sway Bars (Front)

On 28 Aug 97, Toby Erkson wrote:

> Yeah, the front one is called a sway bar (they called it a
> "stabilizer bar") but, like most stock applications, it just doesn't
> perform to higher standards.  Also, the stock sway bar is suspended
> between the arms and not connected to the body like the rest of the
> world.  I believe it's the body connection that helps to keep the
> body from rolling.  It looks like the stabilizer bar helps keep the
> opposite tire on the ground during a fast turn and doesn't do
> anything for the body.  Hmmm, maybe the torsion housing VWs with
> anti-sway bars (meaning: in addition to the stabilizer bar) are
> safer for spirited road handling than other cars of their time...

Whatever it's called, the function is the same.  It picks up the
inboard wheel thus reducing body roll.  In all applications the body
may act as a pivot point, but this is unimportant to its function.

Of course you may want a stiffer bar for some applications.  I just
felt it was important to understand that the T3 front end already had
more than was readily apparent.

The Z-bar that came as an option in some years was not an anti-sway
bar. I think this was only available on swing axle squarebacks.  If
you look at the geometry you will see that it doesn't work against
the roll, in fact it works for it.  Some of the workshop literature
that I have gives different load ratings for cars with and without
this bar.  I suspect its actual function is as an additional spring
that comes into play when the car is heavily loaded.  A rather crude
kind of progressive springing.

Jim
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                         jadney@vwtype3.org