Unleaded??

First of all, excuse my VW ignorance. I just picked up a 70' squareback in
mint condition. It has 48,000 original miles on it and I'm the 2nd owner. The
original owner told me he can still uses leaded gas, which is still legal in
Indiana. I live in Illinois and leaded fuel can't be sold. I have been using
an lead additive for about 2 weeks, but would prefer to use unleaded. I have
heard that today's unleaded will not burn valves. Does anyone have any
advise? Also, I am in desperate need for both front fenders and can't find
them anywhere in the midwest. I've tried a few places out west, still no
luck. Any favorite places out there?

Mike
70' squareback