Re: Zerk fittings

>From: Greg Merritt <gregm@engin.umich.edu>

>	As I was examining my front end (which has developed a bit of a
>shimmy--improved somewhat by swapping on a so-so used damper in the
>meantime), I noticed that at the end of the steering travel, both sides,
>the pitman arm pivots as if the shaft it's attached to is loose in the
>steering box bore.  This normal?  I don't notice any appreciable play in
>the steering wheel, but this may be a problem that was masked by the damper
>until the damper went bad.

There should be no side play in the steering gearbox output shaft.  The
Bentley manual has a good cross section of this and you can see that there
are a pair of angular contact ball bearings that get adjusted to just take
out the play.

The good news is that this is adjustable; the bad news is that it's hard to
get to the adjustment.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney