Head removal.

>From: Jason Renville <Jason_Renville@ccm.al.intel.com>

>Last week the seal between the head and cylinder jug decided to spring a
>leak.  Once the engine was removed I found that the head nuts were
>loose.  Since there is no gasket between the head an jug can I just
>retorque the head and take care of the problem?  I was figuring on
>pulling the head just to inspect the valves.  OH WTF  I should probable
>just replace pistons and jugs while I am at it.  But if I want to be
>cheap what can I do to do the job right?

The reasonable thing to do is to start out by retorquing the head bolts.  USE
A TORQUE WRENCH! and do it to the spec.  If the studs hold you can do
whatever you decide.  If the studs are pulling out of the block, your mind's
been made up for you.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney