help

  I am having a problem.  I just rebuilt the engine in my 73 squareback.
 While doing this I replaced the cam, with a stock type 1 mofcco replacement.
 Now I have no idea how to time the car.  Muir says to set it at 0TDC, while
Chilton says it should be at 7 an a half degrees.
  I was wondering if all 1600 VW cams are the same, or could I have made a
big mistake?  Does anyone know what to time the car at.  The car now seems to
run a bit hot, and misses at high RPMs.  I think that this may be due to
timing.  The engine is a stock 1600 FI.
  Any help you all can give would be greatly appreciated.

                                                                      Thanks,

                                                                        Scott