Distributor Driveshaft Install (from t2 list)

>From: David Raistrick <xi8940@freenet.tlh.fl.us>

>Next question for 1500/1600 rebuild concerns the distributor
>drive shaft and, in particular, end play for the shaft.  Tom
>Wilson (_How_to_Rebuild...) advocates installing the shim(s),
>shaft, and distributor (without the spring) and then measuring
>end play between the case and the shoulder of the shaft.  He
>cites a range of .020-.050" with an emphasis on the *minimum
>allowable* being .020.

I checked all the manuals I have and cannot find anything outside of the
already questionable (in my opinion) Wilson book that confirms this.  On the
other hand it does seem rather reasonable, and that may be all that Wilson
intended.

>Enter my problem.  Taking the Wilson approach, I installed shim,
>shaft and distributor to check end play before mating the case
>halves.  As I see it, I have end play closer to .25" than .020"
>and I'm befuddled.  I've owned this bus since 1979 (a very long
>body restoration project).  The PO had the engine rebuilt in the
>mid-70s by the local VW dealer.  It has what appears to be the
>231B shaft but only one shim and I could put 10 shims in there
>before approaching Wilson's range.

I bought a basket case type 3 engine in about 1970.  This case had been
rebuilt once before and it had a thick spacer under the drive gear.  At that
time some of my VW friends thought that this spacer might have been evidence
of a factory rebuild (supposedly done in Canada for VWoA) where the case had
been remachined there for some reason and a larger spacer added.  I have
never been able to confirm this speculation.

>-Jim Bryant

I note that Jim Bryant is one of our more knowledgable subscribers, too.

>     It should be tight but not too tight and it should be
>     loose but not too loose and it really matters and it
>     may not matter too much.

Seems fair.

>Two possible pieces of the puzzle I don't have.  One, some
>distributor drive shafts have a steel spacer about 1/4" thick
>which goes on the end with the shim(s).  Two, some cases had a
>similar spacer pressed into the case where the drive shaft seats,
>ostensibly to provide a better shoulder to cry on.  In the latter
>scenario, I would assume that the hole in the case where the
>drive shaft seats would be of larger diameter to accommodate the
>pressed-in spacer.  Not so in my case (pun intended).  By process
>of elimination, I pursue the former.

To attempt to shed a bit more light on this I went back to the microfilm.  I
know I have done this before, but maybe this time I was paying a bit more
attention.  I found something interesting.

113 105 231 B   PINION, DISTRIBUTOR DRIVE
                (USE WITH 111 105 235 A
                ONLY)
111 105 233     COIL SPRING
                FOR DISTRIBUTOR DRIVE PINION
113 105 235     WASHER 6.3 MM
                FOR DISTRIBUTOR DRIVE PINION
                M            --K  0 033 505
                M            --M  0 000 249
                M            --T  0 186 545
                M            --P  0 000 649
111 105 235 A   WASHER, 0.6 MM
                FOR DISTRIBUTOR DRIVE PINION
                M K 0 033 506--
                M M 0 000 250--
                M T 0 186 546--
                M P 0 000 650--
                M U 0 000 001--
                M U 5 000 001--
                M            --X 0 004 000

So this says that a thick (1/4"!) spacer was used as standard on all engines
up to mid 1966.  The note under the drive pinion description implies that
this "B" part number superceded an earlier gear that came with the thick
washers.  The late gear can apparently be used in an early engine if the
late washers are used also.

Can some of you with old engines confirm any of this?

Unfortunately, if I understand Jim Bryant's message correctly this does not
answer his question because his engine was a type 4 bus and a decade after
the changeover.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney