Type 3 Calipers

>From: PADDY01410@aol.com

>    I found a caliper in a junkyard that seems to be in good working order.
> unfortunately, upon closer observation (sadly, at home), I realized that the
>caliper in my 71 Squareback has two bleeding bolts, and the one I bougth only
>has one.
>     Should I worry about this, or will it do?  I got it out of another type
>3.

Early type 3 calipers have one bleed valve, late ones have two.  Most
references list the changeover starting with the 72 model year, but the last
month of 71 production got the late calipers, too.  Your 71 must be a late
one.

The two calipers will not interchange.  They use different pads and mount
with different size bolts that are a different distance apart.  You need a
late caliper.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney