Subject: Re: Type 3 Brakes :(
Author:  type-3-errors@umich.edu at SMTPGATE
Date:    4/21/97 7:35 PM

A small amount of play is necessary to assure that the bearings are never
subjected to excessive loads, but a caliper in good shape does not need to
be slapped back into place.  If you feel the sides of the pads while someone
presses and releases the brake pedal you can feel the pad press in and draw
back as pressure is released.  The restoring force comes from the square
cross section O-ring in the caliper bore; it deforms slightly if the piston
moves in a small amount and pulls the piston back when pressure is released.
 In other words, the piston doesn't slide through that seal most of the
time, [the] seal just bends and moves with the piston.  For larger travel,
however, as in accomodating for wear, the piston slides within the O-ring.
Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin