Re: Type 3 Brakes :(

For saving money rebuild the calipers yourself.  I've done it and it's easy
(but a tad messy).  Schedule yourself about 3-4 hours per caliper, just in
case.  Sounds like what's happening is you're only braking with the right
side caliper.

Also, make sure there is the ever-so-slightest wobble when securing the
rotors to the spindle.  It's this wobble that "spanks" the disc pads back
into the caliper and keeps them from constantly rubbing.

As for the right side being way lower than the left, uh, sounds like your
torsion bar for that side is broken or severely fatigued.  If so it needs
to be replaced and if you're gonna do one you might as well do both!  How
is the shock absorber?  Push down on the fender forcefully and quickly let
go.  If the side bounces more than two times it means you need a new shock
absorber.  Do this to each corner just to check.

It may sound silly, but are the front tires the same size?

You're correct about doing the work yourself; it is much more satisfying and
accountable.  To help you out, though, you MUST get yourself a manual.  First
one to get, since it sounds like you're new to all of this, is the Idiot's Guide
by John Muir -- it'll help you out soooo much!  Your next serious manual
purchase should be the Bentley and/or Haynes.  The manuals are a must, okay?!

     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 stock 1.8L for sale
     Portland, Oregon, USA