High-beam hassle

Hi T3 lovers; HELP!
My '67 SB had badly burned ignition wires in the column upon purchase.  Of
course
I forged blindly ahead to repair this problem. What a PITA, but I digress..
 I also had
some melted insulation on the dimmer switch wires; so, I replaced them while
I was
in the neighborhood. Somehow while attaching things to the fusebox I created
an arc-
welder under the dash (small flames, minimal damage). The wire(s) I melted
went to
the headlight switch. At this point, all melted/burned wires have been
replaced, and
my headlights work. The problem is that I can't switch from low to high beams
while
the lights are on.  The relay works fine with the lights off and with only
the parking lights on, but turning off the headlights (even briefly) does not
seem to be a particularly safe practice for night-time travel.  Any ideas?
Thanks.

Mike Kasold
'67 squareback "Dudley"