last cam question

>From: Carlson Bryan J <bjc159s@nic.smsu.edu>

>I have a typical set of cam bearings (no dual thrust and all tangs are in
>the right place).  I do appreciate your advice on measuring.  All of the
>new bearings are marked as STD, as is the cam.  This matches what came
>out of the engine.  Both are Brasialian
>made.  There are two sets of numbers on the bearings that are on the two
>sets of bearings that I have.  One I assume is the size and the other is
>the casting number or manufacturing number.  The size numbers match, the
>casting numbers do not, obviously.  I will measure things this weekend,
>and let you know what I find.  I did purchase this car with a learning
>experience in mind, and I am learning quite alot.  Have wanted a VW since
>I was a kid, and am glad that it is a type3.

Good.  Thanks for the response.  I really want you to figure this out, and I
REALLY want to learn the cause.  Remember, it might be that just ONE of your
new bearing shells is the wrong one.  I think Berg's catalog warns us to
always check these things, because once in a great while a part gets loaded
in the wrong box at the factory (or on your dealer's shelf!)  I've never
seen such a mistake.  Has anyone else?

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney