distributor drive shims

I'm assembling an engine (slowly but surely), and I measured the gap that
existed between the distributor drive shaft and the case with the shims
inbetween and  the distributor installed (case halves apart).  One of my
manuals says that the gap should be between .020" and .050".  The gap is
currently .073".  Went to the parts store (VW specialty) and they said
that they don't have anything like that and that no one ever paid
attention to that gap anyway. There are currently two shims in place.
My questions is:  is this gap truely not important?  Keep in mind that
this info is from the Tom Wilson book that Jim has already chastised.
I'm wondering if this info is questionable.
Bryan
73 sq in hundreds of pieces
Springfield MO USA