Subject: Re: Electric fuel pump & my new fuel filter
Author:  type-3-errors@umich.edu at SMTPGATE
Date:    4/17/97 11:00 AM

Toby Erkson wrote:

> Who out there is running an electric fuel pump on a carburated engine?
> What brand is the fuel pump, are you using a pressure regulator and how do
> you have it wired up?

I am using a generic import electric pump.  I works just like the
faucets, but has a life-time warranty.  Available at your local
AutoZone.  I have a purolator pressure regulator and purolator fuel
filter after the pump, and a fuel filter that came with the pump
attached before the pump.  I have the pump wired to the original
electric fuel pump wires, since my car was fuel injected.  It works just
fine.  Word to the wise, it may be smart to hook up some sort of oil
pressure cutoff switch to control the fuel pump.  Recently, a friend of
mine, with an electric pump, had a catastrophic engine failure in his
Ghia.  A connecting rod cam apart, shot through the top of the case, hit
the coil, and pulled the fuel line loose.  Luckily, he got the fire out
before the car was damaged.

 Tim Fink

 69 Squareback              tfink@hubcap.clemson.edu
 90 Jetta                   Mechanical Engineering
 67 Fastback                Clemson University
                        South Carolina