Re: Customize My '68?

Sounds like you're not going for the restoration so...how big is your
wallet? :)  Here's some stuff I'm thinking of off the top of my furry
cranium...

Engine:  Keep the fuel injection.  If you go for a bigger engine and money
isn't a problem get an after-market FI system for it otherwise you're stuck
with carbs.  If you use carbs keep the size smaller than what you'd use for
a Beetle.  40mm+ carbs are waaaayyyyy too big for a T3 unless it's totally
decked out for racing (and if you're gonna spend THAT much money what's
another $2000 for a FI system that will give even more power?).  The
magical realm is in the 32mm - 36mm range.  Make sure you keep all cooling
functions intact.  If you go with taller tires you may also want to
*include* an external oil cooler.  Definitely get an external oil filter!
Where you live can pose a problem if you have to worry about emission/noise
testing.

Transaxle:  Leave the gearing alone!  Get a rhino case, hardened side
covers, four-spyder gearing, welded hubs, the works (whatever you can
afford).  Got bucks?  Set up your ride with Porsche 930 CV joints.  I don't
know the procedure but it's da shi* for tough conditions like off-road.  An
after-market shifter with a shortened throw and positive stops is a nice
thing to have in your hand for sudden shifting.

Suspension:  A baja T3?  Can you say "UGLY!"  But if that's what you
want...  Raising is just as easy (or difficult) as lowering, just in
opposite directions (duh).  You'll need taller shocks unless you raise it
only a notch or two then you can stick with stock shocks.  I, personally,
wouldn't recommend a stiff suspension for off-road since the body will be
taking a lot more abuse from terrain shock (deeper "potholes", steeper
"speed bumps").  Joint wear and tear time (failure) will be increased.  Bug
suspension components are incompatible with the T3 (with some minor
exceptions) and in actuality you want to stay with the T3 suspension as
it's stronger than the T1.

Wheels:  Carry a spare and jack!  Of course you'll want taller tires, just
make sure they fit in the fenders (and trunk) after you raise the ride
height.  Your speedometer will read slower.  You won't be jumping off the
line quickly but your final top end will be faster.  Taller tires will
require more hp to move so a slightly bigger engine isn't a bad idea.

Other:  You'll probably want to replace the generator with an alternator
since improved lighting will be on your "gotta have it" list.  Tim Fink and
someone else (sorry, forgot who) have installed alternators in their T3s.
I'm in the process of doing the same but, hopefully, without having to do
any metal removal like the others and the alternator I have is *smaller*
than the stock generator (but that's all I'm gonna say for now :)

     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 stock 1.8L for sale
     Portland, Oregon, USA