Re: *!%$~! Brakes...

Ginger D.&Peter P. wrote:

> I've was reading last weeks "Brake" discussion with much interest, and
> rather dreading it, as this weekend I was going to try to fix my
> double-pump brakes.   Well, as many people were lamenting ("it's a just
> how VW's work"), the new master cylinder didn't fix my problem.  H-E-L-P
> M-E !!!!
>         Since I bought my '66 Square in December, it has required one pump
> almost to the floor, and a second that stops about 1/2 way firmly(and
> stops the car).  I bled the brakes 3 to 4 times and it was the same
> story.  I adjusted the rear brakes and e-brake per factory manual with
> no problems.  There are no leaks visable, and I have never had to add
> fluid to the resevoir.  There is approx 1-2mm of pedal/pushrod freeplay.
>         So now I've installed a new master cylinder, two new front rubber brake
> lines, and flushed the whole system, and it's just as it was!  One pump
> goes to the floor (well, not quite all the way) and the second pump is
> firm and 1/2 to 3/4 way.
>         What am I forgetting to do?  I can't let my wife drive the car until
> the #!*&%! brakes work.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Peter Parker
> Portland, Oregon

I hate to tell you this, but 1966 is a one year only for the master
cylinder.  It is the only year with single resevoir disk brakes.  Your
new master cylinder should have a blue band around it, which signifies
that it is different than the 1965 and earlier cylinder, which looks just
like it.  If you have the wrong cylinder, it won't hold position for the
disk brakes, and could be your problem.

Tim Dapper