Subject: Speedometer diameter
Author:  type-3-errors@umich.edu at SMTPGATE
Date:    4/11/97 10:24 PM

Well, I managed to get a set of calipers and a speedometer together and here
are some more accurate numbers:

Diameter of body: 105 mm / 4-1/8"
Diameter of Bezel: 110 mm / 4-5/16"

When VDO advertises gauges in different diameters, which diameter are they
refering to?  Does anybody know?

Jim (Adney)
Traditionally on european cars, the largest gauge, usually the speedo is
100mm, the next size down, usually the tacho is 80mm, and the minor
gauges, usually temp gauges etc. are 52mm.

These are the sizes used be VDO today. They do a 100mm electronic speedo
that can be programmed for different wheel diameters, but I think you
will require a speed sensor. The speedos have a LCD odometer and come
with various scales in miles and km, and if you want to look flash, have
a unit that reads upto 200mph.

Nic Webb