Re: Survival Tips Please

At 12:37 AM 4/8/97 -0400, Charles E. Whitney wrote:
>Hello All
>
>I am looking on tips for keeping my ride looking good and protecting it
>to.
>
>Questions:
>
>1. My car has all the original rubber.  What's the best product, or way,
>to keep it from deteriorating?

Baby powder is what VW recommended when they were new - keeps it supple.

>2. Seats, again, original great shape, want to keep them that way.  What
>to do?

Seat covers will help but probably are enough.  Don't ever sit in it for a
long time when you are sweaty because you will rot the threads, and don't
leave the car closed up in the hot sun which will dry out the material.
Don't use anything with a silicone base on any of your petroleum based
products such as the seat covers and especially the dash.  Silicone sucks
the natural oils out of them.  Many of the more common products such as
ArmorAll have a high silicone content.  Your parts look good initially but
you eventually regret it.  Be careful what you clean them with.  What may be
a good cleaner for the vinyl maybe harmful to the threads or the padding.

>3. Chrome, again, orginal great shape.  How do I keep them shiney and
>prevent pitting.  Especially things like horn ring, door handles, window
>cranks etc.

There is a neat product called Never Dull.  When you open the can it looks a
bit like steel wool but when you rub it on your shiny areas the wooly stuff
turns out to kind of oily feeling.  It buffs everything without scratching
it.  Then a light wipe with a clean cloth removes any residue.  Also, pay
close attention to the back sides of your bumpers (and hubcaps - you know
'66 & '67 caps are different and are hard to find in really good condition).
Many times rust is a result of the part deteriorating from the inside out.

>4. Headliner.  Nice and white want to keep it that way. How to clean
>when it gets dirty, and then product to keep it soft and suple?

Don't use any harsh chemicals to clean it.  Again, no silicone.

>5. Dash.  No cracks. How do I keep it that way?

Someone recently (maybe it was on the Ghia list) suggested using a light oil
like baby oil to keep the dash fresh.  Rub it in enough so that it doesn't
feel oily or it might dry up and get blotchy looking.

>6. Steering wheel.......

My steering wheels all get a buildup of crud from me handling them.  I
haven't had any real good success getting the crud off completely.  I just
had a thought though.  Maybe the Never Dull will do the trick.  You don't
want to put anything on it afterwards that will make it TOO slick because
you wouldn't want it slipping out of your hands going around a corner.

>7. Any general tips anyone has!

No silicone on the tires.  They will also crack after a time.

Larry Edson
sonofed@ix.netcom.com
'66 Type 34 Karmann Ghia
'65 Type 345 w/ electric sunroof