The motor in MD

Ok, I took a look at Marvin's engine today (the new one in Md for $800).
Wow! I have no idea what it's for. This is what I saw...
Bug case (no doubt about it - first 3 didgits of serial # were 111, also
no oil dipstick tube flange). Single port intake manifold (first 3
digits ser. # 311), single (!) carb, designed to be mounted sideways,
which it was (huh?). J-tubes instead of heater boxes, extra pulley in
front of fan (similar to a timing belt pulley), 12v gen. & flywheel, and
a horseshoe bracket in top center of the engine (left from factory
assembly, maybe?), Volkswagen (marked) muffler, a bracket in line w/ the
extra pulley that was supposed to hold something, serial # also started
311, other than that, it looks like a T3 engine...Like I said, I've
never seen anything like this. I know a couple of you guys from Silver
Spring were going to be looking at it. If anyone can tell us what this
is for, I'd love to know. It was very interesting/bizarre. ;) Thanks! -T