Re: cross drilled rotors

Read "European Car" or other hi-performance car magazines as this is
extremely common.  As a rule a VW won't need this treatment since most are
driven modestly and they don't put out enough horsepower.  But when you
upgrade your engine to produce greater power you need to have improved
braking as well.

Cross-drilling helps in cooling the disc and, like the channels in the
tread of a tire, helps to displace water more quickly so the brake pads can
make contact to the disc.  Drive thru a deep puddle and once out
immediately try to use your brakes.  You'll notice a delay before the car
actually begins to stop.  Scary -- I've had it happen.  This is because the
pads are hydroplaning on the disc surface, much like a tire hydroplaning on
the road surface.  The holes in a cross-drilled disc provide space for the
water to escape to thus giving a quicker braking response.

You may notice that some brake pads have a channel in the middle, so it
looks like two braking surfaces on one pad.  This little channel is to help
remove water as well as allow one to see pad wear.

If you live in a particularly wet climate you may want to have channels (I
forgot the proper term so we'll just go with 'channel').  Channels basically run
tangently from the disc hub to the rim of the disc.  This allows improved wet
weather braking because the water is pushed into the channel and is slung out
due to centripetal force.  It's becoming more common amongst autocross racers
and performance enthusiasts to have their rotors cross-drilled and channeled
(many modern cars now have vented discs as this helps keep the disc cool).

For those who don't quite understand channeling here's a *rough* picture:
                 <----- direction of rotation
                  _ ______
                /  |       \
              /    |         \
             /     | __======== <--- channel
             |      o  o      |
             |     |hub | disc|
             |      o__o      |
             ========   |    /
              \         |   /
                \_______|_/
                        ^---channel
                 -----> direction of rotation

             -- Facing front left rotor --

Don't bother trying to have local shops try this as many won't do it because of
insurance reasons and they are just not set up to perform the procedure.  Just
contact the company I mentioned (or any other that does this) and deal with them
-- it'll save you from a whole lotta negative, ignorant comments.

     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 stock 1.8L for sale