Re: cross drilled rotors

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Melissa & Jim wrote:

> >From: WALTEE <WALTEE@prodigy.net>
>
> >Hey Toby, more on the crossed drilled rotor saga.  I had been checking
> >around town here for a machine shop to cross drill my front rotors like
> >we discussed, and I have gotten nothing but flack.  Everything from "why
> >would you want to do that for?" to "you don't want that, you'll never be
> >able to ever turn them after they're drilled" to " they'll break" to
> >"sure, but since they are a special hardened steel, it'll cost you $10
> >per hole to have it done, and we won't guarentee the work".  I'll keep
> >looking, or maybe explore the possibility of using your shop like you
> >suggested.  Ps, I'll let you know about shipping my exhaust out to Jet
> >Hot to be ceramic coated when that's all done, I can only imagine what
> >stories I'll have then.
>
> While I really don't have any facts on this, I was under the impression that
> cross drilled rotors were a fad a decade ago that had now been shown to have
> no real benefits.
>
> On the other hand, there shouldn't be any problem drilling them.  After all
> they can be turned without difficulty and if you take a file to them you
> will find that they are dead soft.
>
> I AM interested in the ceramic exhaust coating.  What do they do and how
> much does it cost?
>
> BTW, thanks for the rundown on your grey market notch.  Here's wishing you
> continuing good luck.
>
> Jim
>    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>        Melissa Kepner                                    Jim Adney
>        jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
>                              Laura Kepner-Adney
>                              Madison, Wisconsin
>    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

here is what was last sent around for the ceramic coating

to all,
        I know of a local (to Portland, OR) shop that does "ceramic
barrier
coating".  They only cost that I remember for exhaust systems was
$10/ft.  Not only does this make your exhaust pretty and durable, but it
keeps the heat inside and out of your engine compartment, and the higher
exhaust heat supposedly flows better (faster?).  They also do a "ceramic
dispersion" coating, basicly a flat black ceramic to facilitate the
release of heat (good for the case and heads?).  As I remember from the
literature this technology was developed by them with NASCAR racers who
had their disk calipers getting so hot the brake fluid was boiling.  The
ceramic dipersion coating decreased the heat by 50%.  If this is true,
it's all wonderfull stuff.
        Anyways, this place is called RM Engineering.  It's a little hole
in
the wall shop in Milwaukie, OR.  The head guy is Russ Meeks.
Phone: (503) 659-4278

Regards, Peter Parker

 complements

Dillon Carson
(looking for a 66 or earlier TIII SQB W/MT in Cali.)