Re: Shortage of Oldies

Volksfolks,

I agree with Shannon, aren't you kind of calling the kettle black?  My
T1 friends call my '67 square the "ugly step-sister".  Even though their
beetles are no Cinderellas.

Having said that, I do like the early style better.  I'll even up the
ante a chip or two.  I like bone stock.  Period accessories are okay.  I
don't even like seat belts if they were not originally optional.  But I
guess they are acciptable because I prefer life to death.

It seems a huge percentage of T3 owners customize.  Is it an inferiority
complex?  Do their "ugly step-sisters" need a face-lift before they are
acceptable?

A case in point.  A buddy of mine last week told me about a '63 sunroof
notch for sale; good condition, only several hundred dollars.  I'm not
really in the market for another car, but this one seems like a no
brainer decision.  Up here in Connecticut they are even more rare than
in other parts of the country.  I have actually never seen one in
person, only pictures.  So I went through my stacks and stacks of Hot
VW's and VW Trends but could not find ONE stock notch.  They were all
customized to one degree or another.  Finally, I surfed the Web, came
upon Greg's totally excellant site, and found some stock Notches, and
this list I might add.
  But that is the beauty of the automobile hobby scene - the diversity.
 Things could get a little boring if every car looked exactly alike.

  I have to admit, my T3 knowledge is not that great right now since
I've only had my square six months, so some of these comparisons may not
be exactly accurate.  I'm relying on some T1 knowledge too.

My own personal opinions on advantages to the later style:

Engine:
The later engines have more power.  Although for me, if I was worried
  about mega horses, I'd buy a junk American V8 car.
Generator Vs. Alternator
6 volt Vs. 12 volt

Brakes:
Larger shoes on rear
Discs up front

Suspension:
Swing axle Vs. IRS

Lighting:
Those larger tail lights and turn signals make for a safer ride.

Seat belts:
Stock/Optional item. Safety, safety, safety.

I also think there are just more later style cars left.  Most air-cooled
VW's got sent to the crusher out here a long time ago. Salt and Rust.

So there are some reasons to choose a late style over early style.  Even
though as I said previously, my personal preference is a bone stock,
early style.

SUMMARY:  Better late than never!

Charlie
'67 square