Re: Shortage of Oldies. Yeah, my three cents...

Interesting number of view points on this topic.

Having been raised (literally!) with my baby I was dumb struck the first
time I saw an early model T3.  Like the Beetle it was homely, but still
cute.  And what's with that slope nose?  The shark snout on my girl looks
way better.

To me the late model T3 is the best looking and has all the modern advances
for the T3 line (everything is as improved as it can be for the stock
vehicle) -- why would someone want an inferior model such as an early model
would be?  That's just a rhetorical question and I already know the answer:
 It's whatever strikes your fancy.  (Please folks, don't send any mail on
that question, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate, the pure logic view, the
whatever-view).

Why do people customize their vehicles?  I don't know since it depends upon
what you consider customizing and it depends upon the individual.
Inferiority complex?  My degree is in computers so I won't pretend to be a
psychiatrist and give some lofty, oh-it's-just-so-obvious answer.
Customizing individualizes a vehicle, sets it apart from the crowd.  A
question to present to purists (people who prefer stock) would be, "What's
the matter, don't you have ANY creativity?  Jeez, talk about anal
retentive!"  Now, I know this isn't true because restoring a vehicle can
consume just as much time and money as a customization AND everything must
be time-period correct as well (i.e. no carbs if it was a stock FI system).
 I can respect the work of a restoration since I know how much work and
research is involved.  I also respect the work of a good custom, be it mild
or wild, because it shows me the individually-creative side of the person.

The last paragraph below says it all.

     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
     '75 Porsche 914 stock 1.8L for sale