cam problems

Well had to add my 02 cents worth (guess which car I have been thrashing
around in lately..) Anyway the cam will not lock unless either the gear
mesh is too tight which you would have checked when you had it in halves
doing the trial assembly right. I turn the engine over while split in
the direction which would push the cam out of the case if the gear is
too tight. Got that. If the cam pushes up without much problem go to a
different sized gear or a different cam if stock. Yes it is possible to
change gears with stock cams but it is a pain in the ass unless you have
 the tap and can face the gear approximately to half its thickness for
the bolts to be recessed but thats another story. Right now the gears
are okay and dont push out so you bolt the case together assuming the
bearings are correct as Jim pointed out. The case when lightly bolted
together should alow the cam etc to turn freely. I once due to my
stupidity put the oil pump into a motor and went to turn it and the
engine locked up when turned one way or the other due to the fact that
my Engle cam had fat bolts protruding through and hitting the back of
the oil pump. I had to obviously, clearance the bolts and the oil pump a
smidge. I cannot see how the engine is locking up as soon as you have
the case together unless it is from any of the above or the crank is
slightly missaligned to the dowells in the case and is being crushed in
the wrong spot.

Aaron.
--
                      \|/