RE: engine in MD

The engine that is in(currently out)of my 73 sq had an extra pulley and a
bracket for what looked like a factory(!)A/C set up.  The previous owner
had no knowledge of where the compressor might be, but in front of the
car, sure enough, is a condensor and in the car is an extra console and
controls for an A/C unit under dash.  There are still the hoses running from
the condensor to the engine where the compressor should be, but when I got
the car, they were just hanging to right of the engine.  Talked to an old
timer mechanic around here(MO)and he said that he's seen some factory A/C
units on air cooled cars.  I had never heard of such a thing.  I would
think that it would put undue stress on a small air cooled engine.  At
any rate, what I have definately looks factory, but I'm not definate.  I
also would be skeptical of such a setup on an early motor like a 1500.
More info is definately needed.
Bryan