Re: Tires! Where to get 'em?

>From: Trish & Ted Davis <volkfolk@erols.com>

>Jonathan Hirschman wrote:

>> Yup, baby needs some new shoes. Boy, do I have tire questions:
>>
>> * What is stock size? 7.80 x 15

Original stock size was 6.00 x 15, 4 pr (ply rating) for fastback, 6 pr for sqbk
165 SR 15 radials were optional in a few of the later years.

>> * Should I replace the tubes with the tires (I'm guessing yes)?N/A

Tubes were standard up through 65.  66 and later came with "j" type safety
rims and took tubeless tires. These have a hump that the bead has to snap
over and are the only ones that are appropriate for radials.

>> * Whitewalls or not? How did car originally ship (she's an 'S')...Sorry,
can't help you there..anyone?

Whilewalls were an option; I think in all years.

>> * And lastly...how much are these puppies going to cost?About $35, plus
mount, etc..

$35 sounds pretty cheap.  I still buy Michelin XZX tires for about $65
including mounting and balancing.  These are excellent for good mileage and
durability.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney