Re: Production Numbers

At 10:35 PM -0000 4/1/97, James Burroughs wrote:

>It not enough to say the figure are not true, what other source do you have to
>refute the numbers.
>
>James Burroughs

To James & everyone,

	fair enough; here you go:

	"...the Type 3 never really gained the following the Beetle had,
though it did last in a restyled form (after 1966) until after some 2.3
million units."

	_VW_Beetle_ by Clive Prew, 1990, Smithmark Publishers Inc., New
York, page 69.

	and...

	"The end came early in 1973, when the last of 1,813,600 Type
3-based cars rolled off the Wolfsburg assembly line to make way for VW's
first water-cooled, front-engine cars."

	_Volkswagen_Chronicle_ by Graham Robson & the Auto Editors of
Consumer Guide, 1996, Publications International, Ltd., Lincolnwood,
Illinois, page 62.

	As these quotes are off by a good 20%+, I too would be interested
in any additional sources.  I do, however, find the quote of ~4.5million
(based merely on supposed extrapolations of serial numbers!) to be
difficult to swallow in this context.

-Greg
'71 squareback
'63 Beetle