Re: Transmission popping out

You wrote:

>Hey everyone, this is a great list!!  My ' 70 Squareback has been my
project
>now for about 2 1/2 years with another year to go.  I have only diven
it
>about 5 times and have been noticing that when I take off from a stop
in
>first gear sometimes my shifter will pop out of first.  I'm not
letting out
>the clutch too fast or not engaging the gear far enough it just pops
out when
>I start to move.  It seems to only happen about 40 % of the time, but
if I
>hold it in place in first gear that usually keeps it in gear. It only
happens
>in first gear also.  Anyone got any ideas? Thanks for the input!
>
>Derrick
>' 70 Squareback
>' 61 Beetle Ragtop

In addition to the other suggestions, I had some trouble a few months
back with reverse popping out.  There's a setscrew on the coupler
between the shift rod going forward to the shift lever and the
transmission to the rear.  The tie wire had broken on the coupler
setscrew allowing said screw to lose its hold and the coupler to move
forward and backward.  This caused the tranny not to quite engage
enough in reverse, but adequate for the forward gears.  There's a cover
with three small sheetmetal screws just forward of the tranny nose.
Pull and check out the coupler and set screw.  Make sure there's some
iron tie wire through the hole in the setscrew head and wrapped around
the shaft.  I had a coupler let loose in traffic once, never again.
Aftermarket parts seem to have a lot sloppier setscrews than OEM stuff.
Anyway I tightened up the set screw, wired it back up and haven't had a
problem since.  10 minute job.  If this or adjusting the shifter pivot
plate at the base of the shift lever don't do it, it's new tranny time
for sure.  Picked one up in the SF Bay area for $80 once, in the Denver
area $100-125 and you can use a T1 tranny in a pinch, just make sure
the nose cone doesn't go with your core or you'll never get the thing
mounted.  T1's have different rear end ratios, you might want to check
the books for what ratio went with what year to get the closest one to
what you have now.  Think Idiot's Guide has a table, don't remember.