Re: Restoring Seats

>  Does anyone know of a source for the plastic covers that go on the
>pan part of the rails for '71s?  WCM used to catalog them, but
>unavailable now.

I have a few of these, but I think they are just about the last ones left in
the world.  In my experience the old ones will still do their job even if
broken into several pieces.

The one thing that you should do is pull out the seat and straighten the
rails. Use a straightedge as a gauge and make sure they are straight both
up/down and L/R.  I find that the front segment of each pan rail tends to
get bent when people yank their seats out.  The straightening can usually be
done rather easily with a good pair of slip-joint pliers.

When you put your seats back into place you need to be careful not to bend
them again.  Of course it also helps to clean out the grooves in the seats
and to lightly grease them also.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney