engine tins

>The '69 T3 fastback which I own was previously owned by a good
>mechanic.  He replaced the engine and automatic trans. with a good
>automatic and (newer) 1600 engine.  However, he ditched the fuel
>injection for a Holley carb.  I would've prefered the FI, but it runs
>very well.
>Q:
>In my previous VW, a T1, there was a full tin surrounding engine.
>However, in my fastback, I can see asphalt when I lift the lid to my
>engine.  Should there be a tin around it?

It is normal to see the ground all around the T3 engine, but there should be
a large rubber bellows connecting the engine to the body just above the
muffler.  Do you have that bellows.

>Also, the old oil fill port no longer contects to anything.  Was the
>original engine much differtent?  I can't see how the oil fill port
>would have ever connected to the engine.  I have the Haynes book, but
>doesn't help much in this case.

I'm guessing that you have a T1 engine in there.  Does it stick up above the
level of the floor?  If there is a large fan housing sticking up, and if the
generator is up and to the right of the crankshaft drive pulley, then you
have a beetle engine in there and it will not survive for long.

The T3 engine gets its cooling air in through that big rubbber bellows at
the rear of the car.  The T1 engine sucks its air in through the front of
the fan housing; that's why the T1 engine must be sealed all around--so it
doesn't suck in hot air to try to cool itself.

On the other hand you may just have a T1 block which lacks the hole for the
oil filler tube.

What do you have?

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org