speedo repair

>Does anyone know a place to get speedometers rebuilt?  Mine sounds as if
>some plastic gears are stripping inside.  I removed it during lunch
>today, and I plan on disecting it tomorrow.  Nobody sells grey faced
>speedo's anymore, so I'm hoping to fix this one.  Supposedly, according
>to some fellow at RockyMt Motorworks, any speedometer repair shop in the
>Yellow Pages can do it.  Well, not in Raleigh.  If it was built before
>1990, they say "good luck".

You need to find someone who works on VDO instruments.  There are a number
of them that advertise in Hemmings.

If yours is still working, or works except for the odometer, I can probably
fix it.  Cost would be about $40 + shipping if I can do it, just shipping if
I can't.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney