Subject: Type 3 Inertia Reel Seat Belts and flasher lights
Author:  type-3-errors@umich.edu at SMTPGATE
Date:    11/20/96 1:29 PM

Guys and Gals,

I'm just reading a copy of an article which was in one of the newsletters from
our National Type 3 Register (1994) relating to the '73 Type Fastback which
now has a brother, The Basic Compact.  (According to the article a cut down
version of the deluxe fastback)

Extract as follows:
"VW's Type 3 cars come equipped with four-on-the-floor transmissions as
standard equipment, with optional three-speed automatic shift for the sedan
and Square-back.  Self-adjusting front disc brakes, flow-through ventilation,
bucket seats and inertia-reel three-point seat belts."

(Are these guys big on hyphens or what!!)

Has anyone ever seen any of these so called "inertia-reel three-point seat
belts?"  I can't say I have.  I even asked about them at one of the local
shops months ago and was led to believe nothing like this existed.  Of course
if anyone can shed some light, let's hear it.

Article also says:
"....The emergency 4-way flasher is permanently illuminated so it can be found
quickly, even at night."

Isn't it great to know these things.  Does anyone have one of these cars.  On
the Notch and Square I have, they don't light didley.  Only when they are on
is there any light and that's in time with the outside indicators.  So how do
you find them at night?  The old finger in the socket trick!

Anyone got any ideas, thoughts, etc.

Regards,

Wayne
'72 Notch