Speaking of Heat

>When I turn on the heat in my '71 Fastback it makes the car smell like
exhaust.  I've checked the pipes from the heater boxes to
>the firewall (fine), the pipes from the fan to the heater boxes (fine) and
the one small pipe from the heater boxes to the fire wall (I
>believe it is for defrost, also fine).  So the question is, are the insides
of the hear boxes shot or does some else have a different
>idea?  Thanks in advance.

The most likely problem is at the connection between the lower heat
exchangers and the muffler.  If the seals at this junction leak a bit
exhaust gasses will blow forward under the lip where the sheet metal shroud
around the heat exchanger meets the exhaust pipe proper.  This junction is
often rusted open a bit or whatever, so some exhaust gas can blow inside the
heat exchanger and mix with the fresh air.  You can try to get a better seal
to the pipe.  I don't have a sure cure.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney