Speaking of Heat

When I turn on the heat in my '71 Fastback it makes the car smell like exhaust.  I've checked the pipes from the heater boxes to
the firewall (fine), the pipes from the fan to the heater boxes (fine) and the one small pipe from the heater boxes to the fire wall (I
believe it is for defrost, also fine).  So the question is, are the insides of the hear boxes shot or does some else have a different
idea?  Thanks in advance.

Craig Woolston
Lockheed Martin Skunk Works
'70 SqBack