Re: 1500S distributor

Jim,
Thanks for your advice. In the meantime I've done some digging of my own.
I had already taken the distributor apart, cleaned and rebuild it. My
first thought was also that the plate was stuck. Now it moves nicely, so
do the weights again. The advance moves if you make a vacuum, but only if
it's higher than 400 mm Hg (that's as far as my vacuum gauge goes). I had
to use a hose and a large syringe, my lungs didn't like sucking the hose
so strongly all the times. I took the advance apart because I thought it
could be adjusted (with the screw inside), but that makes little, if any,
difference. I think the problem is corrosion of the rod inside the
advance or more likely in the advance that makes it move so stiffly. I'm
affraid it's just broken, and beyond repair. Now comes the point of
replacement. The advance characteristics (and also the attachment to the
plate) are different from other vacuum advances. Advance should commence
at 50-125 mmHg and reach maximum (5-11 degrees) at 200-300. That's much
higher vacuum and less advance than the other types. Yesterday I found I
had a book with all this sort of data on my shelve, slightly stupid of my
not to think about that before.
I probably need that particular advance. I contacted the Dutch importer
for Bosch and they are going to try and find one, though he wasn't very
optimistic. I'll ring them again on monday and give them the vw
partnumber you gave me, lots of thanks for that.
If you or anyone else runs into that particular distributor, or advance,
please buy it for me (unless it costs hundreds of $$).
Meantime I'll use the distributor of my 1600 engine which should work (I
think, hope, and pray).
Cheers,
Theo