Re: Backfiring T3

Well here's some help!
     If the exaust doesn't give enough backpessure (is bad) it WILL backfire.
usually though it needs to be pretty bad and then it sounds like someone let
a 44mag go off behind you.  (turns heads in the slums!)
     Timing or dwell could ba a problem, set the points to .016, GET IT RIGHT
this takes a little finess, checking with larger and smaller blades.  Also
use ventilated points as they hold their adjustment longer as they dont develop
 a DD on them.
     Timing on a stock 71: try 3 deg Bef with todays gas. maybe 5 during the
winter.
     Now your setup properly, check the plugs,  Black after a long trip?
whats the gas mileage? should be 22 or so in town 28 on the hgwy (average)normal
driving.
     If its still running rich then your press sens is bad or filled with oil because some A--wipe overfilled the aircleaner.  Check the hose to the intake,
you want NO vacuum leaks!
    I found the 71 system a little fluky, ran a bit too lean, not enough power.
Im running a 73 system, 73 dist, and a 69 press sens to get rid of the
hesitation the 73's had.  Runs just a bit rich now but good power and more
importantly runs cooler.  I time at 3 deg bef and run 92-3 octane in the summer.

Keith
parkkj@crd.ge.com   71 Sqbk  65 Notch