T3 mystery

I had a strange occurance today. I was coming home in my daily driver '71 square and I
began to run out of gas (yes, I'm getting senile).

I had just passed a sign saying the next exit on I-85 was 2 miles. I cursed and thought
I would never make it. But, instead of the car sputtering and losing power as expected,
it seemed to just slow down; like it was running of a couple of cylinders.

I kept the engine revs up since I knew if it died, I would never get it started again. I
did this for the next 2 miles, got off at the exit and drove about another 1/2 mile to
the station. When I pulled up to the pump, it sounded like it was running on one
cylinder and the exaust smelled like it was running super rich.

After I filled-up, it ran normal.

Has anyone else had this experience when running out of gas?

Steve B.