Squareback Shuffle

>   My '72 Squareback has an intermittent drivability
>problem(s).  It started on my epic trip from Vermont to
>Virginia; about midway through Maryland on I-95, the engine
>began stumbling badly, and when I pulled onto the shoulder, it
>died altogether.  I looked it over, found nothing unusual, and
>a couple of minutes tried to restart it.  It took a little
>cranking but it fired right back up.  Then, after about 30
>miles, it happened again.  I let it sit for a couple of
>minutes, and it restarted again.  This occurred about four
>times every 25-40 miles, until I got to Northern Virginia,
>which ptu me into stop-and-go rush hour traffic, and the
>problem went away.

There is a rubber hose that breaks out the side of the gas filler pipe in
the RF wheel well.  If this hose is cracked it will allow gas to spill out
behind the RF wheel when you top up the tank.  Of course you will also lose
gas on left turns.

While the problem of losing gas is bad enough, it is nothing compared to the
problems caused by the water that can be pumped in those same cracks when
you drive in the rain.  I don't know if this is your problem, but if your
car leaks gas like this when you fill up, then it is a very strong possibility.

Cars with bayonette gascaps need a 311 201 179A, cars with screw caps use a
311 201 179C.  The change occured in mid '72.

Every Type III I have have ever worked on has needed one of these.  They are
always broken.  They should be available from the dealer, West Coast Metric,
or even me.  I stock them.

Hope this helps.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org