[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]

Squareback Shuffle

>   My '72 Squareback has an intermittent drivability
>problem(s).  It started on my epic trip from Vermont to
>Virginia; about midway through Maryland on I-95, the engine
>began stumbling badly, and when I pulled onto the shoulder, it
>died altogether.  I looked it over, found nothing unusual, and
>a couple of minutes tried to restart it.  It took a little
>cranking but it fired right back up.  Then, after about 30
>miles, it happened again.  I let it sit for a couple of
>minutes, and it restarted again.  This occurred about four
>times every 25-40 miles, until I got to Northern Virginia,
>which ptu me into stop-and-go rush hour traffic, and the
>problem went away.

There is a rubber hose that breaks out the side of the gas filler pipe in 
the RF wheel well.  If this hose is cracked it will allow gas to spill out 
behind the RF wheel when you top up the tank.  Of course you will also lose 
gas on left turns.

While the problem of losing gas is bad enough, it is nothing compared to the 
problems caused by the water that can be pumped in those same cracks when 
you drive in the rain.  I don't know if this is your problem, but if your 
car leaks gas like this when you fill up, then it is a very strong possibility.

Cars with bayonette gascaps need a 311 201 179A, cars with screw caps use a 
311 201 179C.  The change occured in mid '72.

Every Type III I have have ever worked on has needed one of these.  They are 
always broken.  They should be available from the dealer, West Coast Metric, 
or even me.  I stock them.

Hope this helps.

       Melissa Kepner                                    Jim Adney
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]