Ok you doubters, do your research first!

Back from Boise, Idaho (I-84 was pure Hell, but more on that later...) and
catchin' up on the email.

Yes, synthetic oil is recyclable.  I tell the dudes where I dump it that
it's synthetic.

I've been using synthetic oil and blends for well over two years (maybe
three) and have had no problems due to its usage.  My 914 runs pure
synthetic.  For my trip to Boise I filled up with Castrol synthetic
20w-50w.  My baby is still at the full mark and starting her was never a
problem.  Temperatures for the whole trip varied from 50F to 20F (degrees
Fahrenheit).  Oil pressure was always in its proper range for my engine.

Synthetic oil contains a polymeric plastic substance which helps to
*thicken* the oil at *higher* temperatures.  At lower temperatures the oil
is naturally thinner.  Here's a reason for you cold climate dwellers to use
synthetic oil -- easier engine starting in the cold, yet proper thickening
to keep the stuff from leaking all over your engine compartment once your
baby is warmed up.

If anyone is still unsure about synthetic oil and you think it's just as
good as conventional oil then 1) You're wrong, and; 2) If you do some
research like I did you will see how much better the stuff really is.
Remember, technology is our friend :)

     Toby Erkson, Portland, Oregon
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     modified '72 VW Squareback 2.0L