Re: Rebuild 1600 engine troubles...

>Hi everybody,
>
>LAst Saturday was THE day. We finished tuning my rebuild 1600 and I drove
>for about 20 miles for the first time (with this engine). It ran great, no
>problems, just a little shocky in the beginning.
>First I want to tell you that the engine is tuned in neutral gear ( of
>course ), and it runs fine that way, no shocking, stuthering or anything, it
>runs smooth.
>But here is the problem. In the morning ( cold ) the engine starts
>immediatly, but I have to push the accelarator a few times to prevent it
>from stalling ( pretty normal, no ? ). When I start driving then, the car
>won't accelarate properly. It drives all shocky and shakes. I get the
>feeling that the engine wants to accelarate, but can't do so. This
>disappears after driving a few miles. Then the engine runs smoother ( in
>gear ), but not perfectly. Also when I brake with the engine, it gives this
>"puffy" sounds, is that called "backfire" ( sorry if this might seems as a
>silly question )?  If it is backfire, what can I do about it ? I don't want
>to drive around to long with an engine not runnin,g smoothly, because I
>spent nearly 2000 $ on it. And I'm just a student, so my financial
>sitiuation isn't too bright at the moment.

Tim,

Double check all intake and exhaust connections to make sure that there are
no air leaks anywhere.  Also with the chokes, did you adjust them as per
Bently.  If you are unsure, maybe disconnect them as per Muir so as to
eliminate the possibilty that  they are the problem.

HTH
Steve Farmer

Heads Together Systems Pty Ltd
PO Box 461 Rozelle, NSW, 2039
Sydney, Australia

Net: hts@hts.com.au
Tel: 612 9982 6767
Fax: 612 9981 3081
Visit our Web Site at http://www.hts.com.au/~hts

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when open.