Re: Rebuild 1600 engine troubles...

At 02:24 PM 12/23/96 -0800, Tim Opdencamp wrote:

>But here is the problem. In the morning ( cold ) the engine starts
>immediatly, but I have to push the accelarator a few times to prevent it
>from stalling ( pretty normal, no ? ). When I start driving then, the car
>won't accelarate properly. It drives all shocky and shakes. I get the
>feeling that the engine wants to accelarate, but can't do so. This
>disappears after driving a few miles. Then the engine runs smoother ( in
>gear ), but not perfectly. Also when I brake with the engine, it gives this
>"puffy" sounds, is that called "backfire" ( sorry if this might seems as a
>silly question )?  If it is backfire, what can I do about it ? I don't want
>to drive around to long with an engine not runnin,g smoothly, because I
>spent nearly 2000 $ on it. And I'm just a student, so my financial
>sitiuation isn't too bright at the moment.
>About tha stuttering when running cold : the choke heater elements aren't
>new ones ( dual carb ). They might not expand equaly, could this be the
>cause why it runs so shocky ? It runs smooth(er) when the gearbox is in
>neutral gear though.

I have run into the same problem and believe that it is most probably a carb
problem.  I am still trying to find the right mix on my car. I had to tune
it to pass smog and now I'm trying to get it back to a combination of smooth
running and good gas mileage.

One telling symptom is that, even though it sounds good at idle, when I put
my hand behind the tailpipe (not too close) I can feel a miss instead of a
steady stream.  Part of my problems turned out to be a leaking intake gasket
and a leaky throttle valve.  I found that rebuilt throttle bodies are
available from Bill & Steves for $20 plus exchange.  I suspect that the rest
of my problem may be deeper in the carb.  I bought the carbs rebuilt and I
don't think the guy knew what he was doing.

I could go into greater detail on how to adjust dual carbs but my time today
is limited.  Also being new to this list I don't know if someone else in the
group may have covered it in the past.

Larry

---Larry Edson, Editor
   Karmann Ghia Club of North America