Re: Type III Full Flow

>Jim, Thanks for the response. What is your experience (if any) in using
>Stainless Steel fittings? I have these available to me at work. (I am
>also planning on using SST bolts vs. all the factory scews).
>
>Ray

SST is wonderful stuff most of the time, but if you use it next to the
magnesium of the engine or tranny case I find that it seems to accelerate
the erosion of the magnesium part.  Up in the area where you would be doing
your plumbing, however, corrosion is not likely to be much of a problem.  I
saw some excessive loss of metal when I used SST for the nuts/washers that
attach the engine to the trans.

I recommemded brass street tees also because they are a closer match to the
thermal coefficient of expansion of the case.  Thus they are less likely to
leak.  I also find that quality fittings (brass incluced) tend to have
better, and thus more leak free, pipe threads than the standard hardware
store cast iron parts.

I now use SST hardware on the exhaust system.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney
                             Madison, Wisconsin