question???

Hey fellow IIIers....I have what should be an easy quetion.  I
need to get my back-up lights working.  I have a Bentley Manual
and that stuff is like chicken scratch to me.  I need to know
locations.  I gather that there are contacts in the shift console
(auto by the way) and they go to a fuse in the engine compartment.
Then there is a two-way connector and they all end up at the coil???
Is this about right???  I've hooked this wire and that wire and
they just won't work (bulbs are new and brake/turns work).  If
someone can give me a roadmap (verbally) where to look from
backup switch etc. I would really appreciate it.
Thanks for not laughing!!

Larry D. Adkins
73 Fastback (auto)