"swapin'" stories

"I am very interested in converting from auto to manual..." Jason

First Jason, I would advise looking for a manual T-3.  Sorry, but it's
easier and usually cheaper to find a manual T-3. (I just bought a manual
and still fuel injected, driving condition Square for $300)  This would
be my first suggestion.

The conversions I suggest are below:

(1)  Swing to IRS, for those who want early body style and IRS handling
characteristics, or want to lower the rear with less wheel slant.

(2)  Manual to Automatic, for those (like my wife) who don't want to
deal with a clutch.

(3)  To make a pre '68 Automatic T-3, you know, both 1 and 2.

I am going to chose the third option for my '64 Notch Cabriolet.

Hey, quit yelling.  It is rollover victim, so it will be an improvement
anyway. But I'm getting off the subject.

Jason, if you MUST convert your Auto to Manual, I have to know a few
things about your T-3:

What year do you have?  It makes a difference.

The parts you listed you could get for $150 (Trans, both axles, shifter,
pedal cluster, clutch cable, flywheel, new clutch disk/pressure plate/to
bearing)

The axles you won't need (you have them from your automatic). You WILL
need the shifter rod and rod coupler (I don't know if your automatic pan
will have the rod guides {anyone else know?}) and did we (the T-3 list)
decide that ALL pans (auto and manual) have the clutch cable tube
installed? and that the rear yokes ARE the same (I'm still not
convinced)? possibly the gland nut for the new flywheel and a new manual
tranny (yes, they're different) starter.

Depending on your year, the shifter plate on the tunnel may have to be
altered. You may also have to get a Manual rear yoke (jury is out on
this one though).

OK, I'm done for now, I open the floor to the other experts.

Big Al
awpresley@earthlink.net

NEXT!