Engine case question.

>From: "Alan W. Presley" <awpresley@earthlink.net>
>
>Adriaan Loedolff Wrote:
>Hi there
>
>Maybe you can help me. Is there a difference between the crankcase of
>a auto and manual type 3? I am looking for an engine to build up for
>my SQB and I am having trouble finding a case.
>
>If you are reffering to the engige case, no there is no difference.
>Actually you can still buy a NEW case for it, from VW in Mexico.  They
>are called the UNIVERSAL case (because the work in T-1, early T-2, and
>T-3).  Just make sure to use the electronics from your original engine
>(use the '69 parts from the '69 engine to go on the new engine).  There
>are a few parts on the automatic engine needed for proper performance of
>the auto tranny.

Actually, there is at least one difference.  The AT case is cut away at the
joining face with the transmission just to the left of the centerline to
allow access to the three drive plate to torque converter bolts.  You can
remove this metal with a die grinder and convert a MT case.  I keep thinking
there was some other difference, but for the life of me I can't think of it
right now.  At any rate I have done the conversion and it is not too much
trouble.

Jim
       jadney@vwtype3.org              jadney@vwtype3.org
                             Laura Kepner-Adney